I made these cupcakes last Saturday. I had planned on making plain vanilla cupcakes but luckily for my dad, he was in the kitchen as I took out the mixer and requested I make something with almonds. I just used 50g of ground almonds and 50g less of flour, I substituted the vanilla essence with almond essence and I added in the raspberry jam. As it was Valentines weekend I decorated the cupcakes with edible glitter and cute little hearts.
For the cupcakes:
225g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
50g ground almonds
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp almond extract
4 tbsp raspberry jam
For the icing:
250g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the bun cases into a bun tray.
3. Cream the margarine/butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
4. Beat the eggs and gradually add them to the mixture, add a teaspoon of flour with each addition to prevent it from curdling.
5. Sift the remaining flour into the bowl along with the baking powder, ground almonds, almond essence and milk.
6. Spoon the mixture into the bun cases.
7. Dip a teaspoon into the raspberry jam and mix it into each cupcake.
8. Place the cupcakes into the oven for 20 minutes or until they are golden in colour.
9. Once the cupcakes are ready place them on a wire rack to cool.
10. To make the icing place the margarine, icing sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir in the raspberry jam.
11. Using a piping bag, pipe the icing onto the top of the cooled cupcakes.
12. Decorate to your own taste.