This is a favourite for the men in my family, often appearing on their Birthday’s or Father’s Day.
For the cake:
175g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
100g walnuts (broken into pieces)
1 tbsp instant coffee
3 tbsp boiling water
For the icing:
400g icing sugar
2 tsp instant coffee
1 tbsp boiling water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC and grease and line two sandwich tins with baking paper.
2. Blend the instant coffee and boiling water together.
3. Place the margarine, caster sugar, flour, eggs, walnuts and coffee mix into a bowl and beat all the ingredients together.
4. Divide the mix between the two sandwich tins.
5. Place the cakes into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
6. When the cakes are ready, leave them to cool before assembling with the icing.
7. To make the icing sift the icing sugar into a clean bowl and beat with the margarine.
8. Blend the instant coffee with the boiling water and mix it in to the icing.
9. Spread the icing generously on to one of the cakes and place the second cake on top. Spread the remainder of the icing over the top and around the sides of the cake.
10. Decorate the cake with the walnuts.