I came up with this recipe while deciding on desserts to make for the day after my sister’s wedding. We were looking for things that were easy to make and didn’t take too much time. As with any wedding or big event, the closer it comes the less hours you seem to have! These white chocolate and strawberry squares are simple and quick to make and they taste good too. As an alternative, you could use raspberries or blueberries instead of strawberries.
200g caster sugar
300g self-raising flour
1tsp vanilla extract
150g white chocolate (If you can get the Bellarom Strawberry Crisp White Chocolate from Lidl, use 50g of this and 100g of standard white chocolate)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment or greaseproof paper.
3. Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Beat the eggs and add them to the mix along with the flour, milk and vanilla extract.
5. Mix the ingredients together until they have combined and the mixture is smooth.
6. Roughly chop the white chocolate and the strawberries and fold them into the mixture, stirring gently so that the strawberries will not break up.
7. Spread the mixture evenly onto the prepared baking tray and place it in the oven for approximately 25- 30 minutes or until the cake is golden in colour. (If the edges begin to burn, place a sheet of tin foil over the tray and turn down the temperature to 150ºC until the centre is fully cooked.)
8. When the cake is cooked, leave it to cool before cutting into squares.